Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Bassoon Reeds at 480% Speed!

 

"We say, "Music shall fill the air."
We never say, "Music shall fill a particular segment of the air.""

--- Marshall McLuhan, p.111


I should start by admitting this wasn't intentional...

When I was given this assignment, I did what I normally do: let the idea sit in my head for a few days and see what my mind comes up with. It didn't take me long to decide to I should make my music using my bassoon reed. It was a brilliant idea and one I knew not a lot of people would have heard before.

The bassoon is a double-reed instrument. Basically, this means two pieces of cane are wired together and form a little tip: which we double-reed players call a reed (of course). This reed is then attached to the end of the bassoon. From there, we fit our mouths around it and that's how the bassoon gets its buzz so it can be played.

Three bassoon reeds, iStock images

Now, about the audio masterpiece I created. It was originally too long and I wasn't sure if it was worth it to find a 1-minute section I liked or cut up the track so that I could make a sound collage of all my favorite audio clips from the raw footage. However, I was tired. I was finishing this at 11:30 p.m. after my tech rehearsal for the Gaines Theatre Series (I'm stage managing for it). So, I was tired and remembered that speed duration exists. With a few speed changes, settling on a sped-up version at 480%, my final audio clip is what I got.

It's so funny and definitely a fun new twist on a sound while also using something that is never usually played on its own. It was a fun project to do and I hope it gave you as many laughs as it gave me.

To view my audio clip, click on the Soundcloud link at the top of my blogger!

2 comments:

  1. omg it absolutely does! I love how the laughs are also sped up and makes it even more funny😂😂 Reminds me of those birthday cards I used to get for birthdays. Oh, and stylophones too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's weird how the timbre seems to change at higher speed. im not a double reed player of course, but to my ear the timbre sounds a bit "clearer" than a plain double reed at normal speed (like an oboe playing those notes i feel would probably sound a bit buzzier). i don't know though if there is an actual timbre change or if it's just an auditory illusion, because the waveform should stay the same at higher speed of the sample, unless the waveform is somehow getting altered in the process

    ReplyDelete

Exploring Science Fiction!

  "Media...envokes in use their unique ratios of sense perception. The extension of any one sense alters the way we think and act---   ...