Sunday, March 5, 2023

Here's the News: Something Happened!


 "At the high speeds of electric communication, purely visual means of apprehending the world are no longer possible."

--- Marshall McLuhan, p.63


How often do you pay attention to the feet around you? No, I don't mean it THAT way. I mean, have you really taken the time to admire the shoes a person wears?

My collection These are Shoes brings to light the wonder and uniqueness of a pair of worn shoes. Something I've noticed about myself is how many different kinds of shoes I have. Whether it's casual or fancy, my shoes mean something to me and set my outfit's mood depending on what I wear. I have new shoes, worn shoes, paint shoes, and dress shoes. I have marching band shoes from when I was in high school. I have sparkly prom shoes I wore to Junior prom (the only prom I got to have). I have vintage shoes that I wear way too often and continue to stretch the stitching.

These are Shoes: Casual EQ, 2023, Nayla J. Brunnbauer

I've sat with this project for over a month now. Here's what I've been doing--- photographing, photoshopping, printing, publishing, and displaying. I picked 20 of my favorite shots and created a Flickr account. From there, I created a book and got it published. While I waited for the book to arrive, I selected three different photos--- Causal EQ, Emmeth's Yellow in the Blue, and Athletic Trey pt.2 --- and had them printed out as 8x10. I plan to hopefully get framed at some point. Finally, the photograph The Dancer Jana pt.1 was printed out as an 11x14 and is currently on display in the Wriston Art Gallery at Lawrence Univeristy.

These are Shoes: The Dancer Jana pt.1, 2023, Nayla J. Brunnbauer

While none of these are crazy, amazing feats I've learned a lot over this project. I've regained my eye for photography, for one. I also got to spend a lot of fun time with friends and get a chance to admire how cool many of their shoes were. Finally, this project helped me realize what I wanted to dive deeper into for my final project for my New Media in Art class, which of course is photography. Expect more updates soon and please check out my Flickr to see my full collection of These are Shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Exploring Science Fiction!

  "Media...envokes in use their unique ratios of sense perception. The extension of any one sense alters the way we think and act---   ...